TimeEastern Standard Time
Deepening Learning by Enhancing Classroom Talk with James Nottingham
Audience: Teachers (all grades), Instructional Coaches, Allied Educators and School Leaders
Language is the foundation of learning but too often in classrooms, students do not get the opportunity to practise it because classroom talk is dominated by the teacher. Whereas, at its best, high quality dialogue creates interaction and engagement with learning, providing opportunities for students to move from surface-level knowledge to deeper understanding. Hattie reported that effective dialogue can double the average rate of learning; as a pedagogical tool, exploratory talk is one of the most effective ways to create challenge, wonder, inquiry and critical thinking.
- Learn how to increase the quality of student talk in their classroom.
- Learn how dialogue engages and motivates learners of all ages so that they understand key concepts more rigorously.
- Understand how to make lessons more active, meaningful, challenging and collaborative.
- Be able to improve their students’ reasoning skills, so they can move from surface to deep learning.
- Be able to facilitate high quality dialogue that encourage students to take more ownership of their learning, share their thinking and form reasoned – and reasonable – opinions.
- Know how to create the right conditions for truly exploratory dialogue to flourish, encouraging learners to become more open, more collaborative and more reflective.
- Learn how to use dialogue to develop higher-order thinking skills, metacognition and the learning dispositions needed for collaboration and problem-solving.
Early Bird: S$400nett per participant (till 30 April 2020)
Standard: S$500nett per participant (from 1 May 2020)
Group Discount: S$50 off per participant if 3 or more from same organisation register for same workshop (includes lunch and a coffee/tea break)