- Mar 2020
TimeEastern Standard Time
- 8:30 am - 4:30 pm
The Learning Pit with James Nottingham
Audience: Teachers; School & District Leaders
Address: Wojcik Conference Center, Palatine, IL 60067, USA
The Learning Pit explains why more challenge leads to enhanced learning. It helps teachers structure lessons, and students challenge themselves. It shows teachers how to develop questioning and facilitation techniques, and by going through the pit, it helps students to grow their resilience, decision making and higher-order thinking skills. Find out all about the Learning Pit from its creator, James Nottingham. This workshop will provide a clear path for engaging students in deep and meaningful learning. James will introduce the stages and steps, examples, tools and tactics to engage students in rigorous learning.
- Understand how the Learning Pit can be used to inspire and reassure students so that they develop resilience, determination, learning strategies and metacognitive thinking.
- Learn the best strategies for guiding students into and out of the Learning Pit.
- Know when to support, when to challenge, when to confuse and when to engage students so that they move from surface to deep learning.
- Identify the links between the learning pit and Carol Dweck’s Growth Mindset as well as John Hattie’s Visible Learning® strategies
- Develop a common language for planning and reflecting on the learning process.
- Learn how to teach students to use “Pit Tools” so that they grow their independence and self-efficacy.
Visible Learning® and Visible Learning+™ are trademarks of Corwin Press, Inc. Use of the Visible Learning trademarks by Challenging Learning on this website and in the related materials is solely for the purpose of illustration and in no way indicates any relationship with, or endorsement by, Corwin Press, Inc.
- Provide a clear, concise and research-based approach to creating cognitively challenging classrooms that captivate, activate and invigorate learners.
- Offer guidance as to the types of concepts to use to take students through the Learning Pit.
- Construct and consider new and innovative ways to promote stronger and deeper learning for students.
- Show how to create the conditions to encourage and support students’ deep understanding ofcomplex concepts.
- Develop a framework and practical strategies that educators of all levels and disciplines can useto educate students to think critically.
- Give real, practical examples of the best strategies for deepening learning.
IL ASCD Member $199
1 Person Each $248* (includes IL ASCD Membership)
2 People Each $228** (2 or more attendees from the same school district/organization. Does not include membership)
3 People Each $218**
Full-Time Student/Retiree $98
Registration includes: six PD hours, continental breakfast, parking and lunch on your own