However, the two meta-analyses examining the impact of growth mindset show a disappointingly low effect (0.1 to 0.19, less than half of the typical effect). The main cause of this is that too many schools have a performance focus and are therefore unable to make the most of growth mindset; indeed, growth mindset might be contradictory and therefore an unhelpful distraction in these circumstances.
However, as a vehicle for creating and enhancing a learning-focused environment, growth mindset can have a very significant effect. Drawing on our many speaking tours with Carol Dweck, as well as our deep understanding of the mindset research, we will show you how to take the best steps towards a learning-focus that uses growth mindset to maximum effect.
Suitable for teachers, leaders and support staff working with students between the ages of 3-19, we can help you to:
- Understand the real messages about growth mindset (rather than the urban myths)
- Learn the best strategies for building a growth mindset culture so that all people (staff and students) benefit
- Develop a common language for enhancing the learning process
- Discover how growth mindset can be used to inspire and reassure students so that they develop resilience, determination, learning strategies and metacognitive thinking
- Identify the links between growth mindset, failure, mistakes and James Nottingham’s Learning Pit®