“Yet another superb Learning Pit® publication. Detailed, yet accessible; practical yet thought-provoking – this book lays out comprehensive lesson ideas, built around searching questions that show teachers how to take students through the Learning Pit. I wholeheartedly recommend the book.”
Shirley Clarke, Formative Assessment Expert, Ashdown Education, East Sussex
What makes this book different?
The Learning Challenge Lesson books give enough examples and recommendations to fill a whole year’s worth of Learning Pit® lessons. Written by Jill Nottingham and the Challenging Learning team, each book shows you how to use ranking; concept lines, targets, graphs, and corners; mysteries; opinion lines and corners; and living graphs to improve classroom talk and enhance student creativity and imagination. When used as structures for learning, the ideas within these books will improve teacher clarity and deepen student understanding and metacognition.
- Twenty lesson ideas with resource cards, group activities, and teacher guidance to show educators how to take their students through the ‘Learning Pit’
- Photocopiable masters that act as frames to support the activities
- Guidance at the bottom of each photocopiable sheet for how to scale each item to fit the resource cards
- Downloadable full-colour activity cards to accompany each lesson
- Diagrams to help illustrate relationships between concepts for students
Suitable for teachers, leaders and support staff working with students between the ages of 5-11. For those working with 3-7-year-old children, you can find equivalent activity ideas in ‘Challenging Early Learning’ by James Nottingham and Jill Nottingham (2017).