War, conflict, loyalty, honour, peace, dedication, politics, individual vs. society, responsibility, love, suffering, allegiance, support and betrayal.
To be able to define patriotism and pacifism and identify examples of this in poetry.
• Explore and discuss our understanding of the terms patriotism and pacifism.
• Classify symbols, images and quotes which are connected to the key concepts.
• Look for clues within extracts of war poetry which show us ideas and attitudes related to
patriotism and pacifism.
• Identify evidence in Wilfred Owen’s poetry and letters which help us understand his views on
• Decide if Wilfred Owen is a patriot or a pacifist.